WELCOME TO THE CHICAGO RIDGE PARK DISTRICT GREEN PAGE!
Chicago Ridge Park District is dedicated to protecting the environment and has implemented plans to do their part in going green!
WHAT WE ARE DOING
We practice recycling in all of our facilities. Look for the “Please Recycle” posters located by the beverage machines, and help us reduce landfill waste by placing your plastic bottles in the receptacles provided.
We are dedicated to reducing the amount of paper used by taking advantage of electronic communication between facilities as well as recycling the paper we do use. In an effort to support our community, we will be giving all of our recyclable paper to the Chicago Ridge Schools and placing it in their Paper Retriever bins.
We are also recycling office products such as toner cartridges, ink cartridges, fluorescent light bulbs, old cell phones and computers.
Plans are underway to educate the children in our Tiny Tot and RAH Program to help them learn how they too can help the environment.
TIPS FOR HOMEOWNERS
Want to know what you can do to help the environment? Here are a few suggestions:
- Get an energy audit
- Turn off lights in any room not being occupied no matter how short the duration
- Unplug any appliance not being used on a regular basis. This includes cell phone and game chargers
- Use standby mode when stepping away from your computer and power down at night
- Use less air-conditioning and heating
- Wait until your dishwasher is full before running it or hand wash the dishes
- Do not leave water running while washing dishes or brushing teeth
- Refrain from using disposable paper products whenever possible
- Ride your bike or car pool
- Use CFL’s (compact fluorescent lights) instead of regular incandescent light bulbs. Here is a web site on saving electricity using CFL’s: http://www.michaelbluejay.com/electricity/lighting.htm
- Verizon Wireless stores have a drop box for all used cell phones and equipment to help victims of domestic violence. Visit their website for more information: http://www.verizonwireless.com/hopeline
- Recycle your fluorescent bulbs at the Home Depot in Chicago Ridge
- Here is a web site with information on recycling your unused bikes: http://www.therecyclery.org/
- Check out this website from National Geographic Green Guide for more green tips: http://www.thegreenguide.com/